The Florida sunshine, white beaches and warm Caribbean waters are appealing to tourists and locals alike. New Port Richey is just outside of the busiest areas of Tampa Bay, but close enough to enjoy all of the attractions the area has to offer. For a day trip, we suggest:
- Tarpon Springs Sponge Docks is a collections of shops, restaurants and a marina. With the highest concentration of Greek Americans in the country, the sponge docks visitors can enjoy Greek food, Greek products, sponges and plenty of outdoor activities.
- Busch Gardens Tampa is an African-themed amusement park with roller coasters, exhibits, events and African animals in a safari environment. Housing three of the best roller coasters in the country according to a 2013 poll by Amusement Today, there is something for everyone.
- Honeymoon and Caladesi Islands are continually ranked as two of the top beaches in the country, boasting white beaches, many seashell varieties, mangroves and a marina for boating, fishing and kayaking.
- Weeki Watchee Springs State Park is the only mermaid park in the world, featuring a live mermaid show in a submerged theater. There is also a spring-fed waterpark, a river boat cruise and many other outdoor activities.
- The Florida Aquarium is a highly interactive aquarium with more than 20,000 animals and plants. Visitors can swim with fish, dive with sharks, touch penguins and stingrays, and take a dolphin boat cruise.